The Department of LABORATORY OMNIS is a department of support. This department is the only laboratory specialized in the field of the UPSTREAM activities oil and in the field of the research for the radioactive and Rare Earth ores in Madagascar.
Four (04) technical units make up the organization chart of the Direction: Two (02) units (Bio Stratigraphy and Geochemistry) for the Bio stratigraphic preparation, Hydrocarbons analyses and two (02) other units (Processing and Analyses) for the mining activities.
1. Services in the mining activities
1.1 Processing Unit
The Unit is in charge of:
- The reception and the storage of all the samples (rocks, ores…) in the Department
- The mechanical preparation of the samples: Crushing, grinding, drying, splitting, pulverizing ...
- The ore processing by shaking table, magnetic separation
- The chemical treatment
1.2 Analysis Unit
This Unit is responsible for all mineral chemical analyzes:
- Application of the Mass Spectrometer with Inductively Coupled Plasma (ICP-MS) that allows assays traces of mono-elements (Gold (Au); Uranium (U); ...) and multi -elements (Chrome (Cr) , Lead (Pb), Iron (Fe), Potassium (K), Magnesium (Mg) ...).
- Classical analysis of major elements by gravimetric, titrimetric and volumetric method,
- Mineralogical analysis (qualitative, quantitative characterization of minerals).
2. Services in the petroleum UPSTREAM activities
2.1 Biostratigraphy Unit
The Department ensures all preparations for bio stratigraphy studies, stratigraphy, sedimentology:
- Palynology (extraction of palynomorphs, mount blade, diagnosis and report)
- Foraminifera (soaking, washing, drying, sorting and formatting population, diagnosis and report)
- Calcareous nannofossils (extraction forms, mounting centrifuged or sméarslides blades)
- Stratigraphy ,petrography , sedimentology, thin section
2.2 Geochemistry and Physical Chemistry Department
Its main role is to assess the potential source rocks and in carrying out physico-chemical analyzes:
- Determination of geochemical parameters (Total Organic Carbon(TOC), quality, amount and degree of maturation of the organic material, …)
- Extraction and study of hydrocarbon fractions: saturates, aromatics, resins and asphaltenes (Chromatograhies)
- Physico-chemical analysis and characterization of oils and petroleum products such as coal or other carbon products, biofuels (JATROPHA)
- Packaging cores (plugs).